Monday, March 3, 2008

Murphy has moved in...

Everyone's heard of Murphy's Law. It can apply to anything. Well, Murphy has made a special stop at the Farmer household.

Kinsey's had a few ear infections thru the years. Both kids have the common snotty nose colds here and there. Caitlyn has done her share with a broken arm and stitches to the head - but who counts that? My kids have been basically bullet-proof during their short lives... until now.

Part of the joy of chemotherapy is that it crushes your white blood cell count - and those are handy for fighting off infections. My first dose of chemotherapy was Feb. 20th. - about 2 weeks ago.

Within the last 3 weeks, I have spent more time at the pediatricians office and following my kids around with Lysol than I care to think about. Kinsey had strep throat. Caitlyn had a staph infection in her nose and finger (just imagine how those are linked in a 5 year old). Now Caitlyn and Kevin both have the flu.

Vera (who helps keep my house clean and therefore helps keep me sane) and I spent all morning wiping down every surface in the house with a germ killer - I've done more laundry and sheets than I care to discuss - and I still cringe when I see Caitlyn or Kevin breathe, touch or cough on anything.

So, to all the wonderful people who have offered assistance - does anyone want to move into the 'Typhoid Mary' house to take care of us for a week or so until the storm passes? No, I didn't think so - nor do I blame you - and I wouldn't let you anyway.

It is very hard to be the Mommy-Care-Giver when you are afraid to touch your family. This really sucks. When Caitlyn is feeling bad and crawls into Mommy's lap for comfort - am I supposed to kick her out?

I guess I'll just keep avoiding my family (although the way I'm feeling, I think it is too late) - stressing the hand washing - pouring antibacterial lotion on everyone's hands every 15 seconds - and following them around with the lysol. And when that doesn't work, I guess my first burst of weight loss may just have to come from the flu. So be it - it still counts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I've heard Clorox is a good anti-bug killer too! Course don't get it too near your black cashmere.
Hugs to you through this crap!
Ced