Monday, February 25, 2008

The dream and the hang over

Well, the first 3-5 day window has come and gone. And while it wasn't near as bad as some of my fears, it wasn't a non-event either.

Thursday - Day 1 post treatment: Fine. Normal.

Friday - Day 2 p.t.: Feeling OK, but tired and cranky. Did I mention that I started my period today? Guess I can't blame PMS and cramps on chemo. But by Friday afternoon, I was exhausted. Not that I had done any more than my usual running around during the day with work and the kids - but I was exhausted!

Saturday - Day 3 p.t.: FOGGY!!! Talk about moving about in a dream. I could barely focus long enough to do a load of laundry. (Actually, I put one of Kinsey's sequined dress-up shawls into the laundry and everything - even Kevin's boxers - came out with sequins. Glad he's got a good attitude!)

I felt like I had a light buzz - and a hang over - all at the same time. I put on some jeans, took 1 step toward the bed, saw some sweat pants, took off the jeans and put on the sweats, turned again, and couldn't figure out what to do with the jeans I was holding. Nothing was making sense in my brain and actually, once I got out on the road to run an errand - I really thought about going back home because making clear fast decisions was not happening. I did decide not to drive the kids around that day at all. There was much napping and just sitting on Saturday.

Sunday - Day 4 p.t.: Hang over continues - head ache, nausea. But the fog had lifted some. After lunch time, I finally took an anti-nausea pill and had a nap. Those 2 things helped a lot. By dinner, I was almost hungry and ate like a normal person. By bed time, I just had some lingering mild nausea/ heartburn and thumpy head.

Monday - Day 5 p.t.: I woke up like a new person this morning. I felt good enough to shower and hop off to school to help Kinsey's class with a cool project. I'm still more tired than I would be normally with only a trace of nausea, but overall feel fine.

We've all heard about and/or witnessed people that feel horrible during chemo. I've also talked to many who said it wasn't that bad for them. And I've even heard stories of people getting lulled into thinking chemo isn't really that bad until the 2nd or 3rd treatment when it has started to build up in their systems.

Who knows which way this road trip will take me over the next few months. For today, I'm doing well, the sun is shining, I still have my hair, my husband is a love and a big help around the house, my kids are healthy and I have a ton of great support from family and friends. Could I really ask for much more?

No comments: