Thursday, February 7, 2008

I'm gonna live!

Going to NY to get our second opinion was a good idea. The people at Sloan couldn't have been nicer. (I'm sure it helps that they've known my sister for 12 years.)And Dr. Seidman basically echoed every discussion we've had with my oncologist here in Atlanta, Dr. Mininberg.

(I've had an insider tell me that Dr. Mininberg has a great instinct about treatments, and usually his instincts prove correct in the end. We like to hear that. While most of this is medical knowledge, training and following research - it also appears that there is a good dose of instinct thrown into the mix - and that is something that can't be taught. As Kevin said, "Anyone can learn the keys of the piano and play songs - but that won't make you Chopin. That you have to be born with.")

Both doctors agree that I should take Herceptin - which is a very targeted drug for my type of tumors. There are 2 different chemotherapy regimens that are both valid choices for my situation. One doctor leans a bit toward one regimen - and the other leans a bit towards the other. So now we are working to weigh the pros and cons of each and make a decision that we feel good about. One treatment is a bit more proven, but it is more harsh on the body and may have some lingering heart implications.

The best thing is that now, both doctors, have stated that my chance of breast cancer recurrence is very low - under 20%. And once we pile on Herceptin and chemotherapy, the chances drop even lower - possibly to under 10%. (Here again is where the intuition plays a big part.)

My long term outcome looks great! I actually danced a little jig outside the building on Monday - then went directly for a beer. (Karen thinks they should have a camera outside the building to capture the range of emotions and reactions of people when they come out. Some people are devastated, some are elated - and a whole lot of in-betweens. With the crap reality shows of today's tv schedule, I say we pitch it! Maybe we can get Jerry Seinfeld to commentate.)

Despite the stress of what's coming at us in 2008, Kevin and I are now sleeping a bit better.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Stoked for ya sista!
We're so happy to hear that.
We tried to call you the other night...Left a voice mail with kevin.

O.k.,So I think learning to surf this year needs to be on your "I'm gonna live" list.
:)

d

Anonymous said...

Sending you love! You know to call if you need anything, even if it's for Mom's(Lorraine) mac and cheese.
Cindy

Anonymous said...

Andrea and Kevin,
I can't say how elated I am to hear the good prognosis. I'm so glad you went to NY-Sloan. It somehow give you stronger assurance when there is an agreement amongst the doctors. We love you and are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.
Ced

Anonymous said...

A&K,

Great news to hear and I think you are headed in the right direction along your journey. I heard you say"What feels right" and I think that will be your key to pay attention to - what feel right! Listen to your gut, your heart - you are that kind of person. We are with you, Kevin and the kids - let us know what part we play in your journey to help out - remember you are driving the bus. We love you and it time I hear and see you guys coming around the corner in the go-cart mobile!!!

Vicki & Casey

Anonymous said...

Well of course you are!! who else is going to rub baby bows on my belly in hopes of a girl for the next 7 months!!!