Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Who wants a cocktail?

I talked to my doctor today. It is settled. I am taking the chemo "cocktail" that is not quite as bad for you long term, but seems to do just as good of a job eradicating cancer from the system as the current/previous regimen widely used.

I wanted to wait until after Valentine's Day, President's Day (the girls are out of school) and my birthday (the 19th) before I started my treatments. It seemed like the thing to do a couple of weeks ago. Now, the waiting seems to drag on.

However, I remember asking the nurse if it was OK to start treatments the morning after my birthday. I was talking big about having my last "who-rah!" before treatments. This isn't a direct quote - but the feeling I got from her response was:

'Honey, we're gonna spend 4 hours pumping 3 different types of poison directly into your blood stream that morning. Whether you go out drinking the night before or not won't mean a hill of beans.'


I didn't quite get it then, but the closer I get to the 20th, (dragging or not) the more these last few days of feeling good, and eating and drinking, are starting to mean.

My good friend Judy is making a birthday cake for me. She is one of the best amateur dessert chefs I know. (No pressure Judy!) And while I've naturally started to wean off the food and drink (mostly due to the fact that I can barely fit in my jeans), I'm having a hard time justifying a controlled attitude for the upcoming week.

My instinct screams "Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez" - - - but then my mind butts in to remind me, the alarm is still going off at 6:15 am to get the kids to school on time.

Maybe that's what they mean by "life goes on".

No comments: