Sunday, January 13, 2008

Oncology Appointment

Last Thursday, I had an appointment with the oncologist. He looked only slightly taken aback when he opened the door to see me, a bit wider to see Kevin, and finally as he steps in and sees Karen. 1 vs. 3.

But realistically, we had a good discussion. Once we get back the pathology of the chunks they just took out, we have a few choices of chemo treatments to choose from. Looks like I'll be starting treatments in about 3 weeks and they will most likely run me thru mid June. It's gonna be a L-O-N-G spring.

The only thing that Karen is still a bit concerned about is my ovaries. She thinks I must have them out. I tend to agree and think it makes the most logical sense for many reasons. But my Dr. said that we don't need to worry about it right now, and would talk about it after surgery and the chemo treatments are coming to a close.

By some minor miracle, Karen has secured me an appointment with her much-loved oncologist at Sloan-Kettering, in NY, for Monday Feb. 4th. A second opinion is never a bad idea - especially when it might come with a weekend of good food and shows in the city. But who knows...

No comments: